The onset of 3D printing has really taken us by storm. I bet no soul could imagine advancing from the monotonous 2D printing that has existed for centuries. And as if that was not enough, they came up with the 3D pen as well.
To think that you can create 3D models using a simple handheld device is incredible in its own right. So, yes! 3D pens are worth it. Check out the quality review for a comprehensive buying guide on the best 3D pens.
Are 3D pens worth it?
To further fortify this point, I find 3D pens more than worth it for the following reasons:
- 3D pens complement 3D printing. Once you print a mega model using the 3D printer, the 3D pen allows you to add finer details to the model. As such, your artistic capabilities are expressed to the full.
- 3D pens are a perfect tool for enhancing the creativity of kids. Instead of buying toys all the time, let them make their own using the 3D pens.
- Coming to adults, aside from the professional craftsmen, 3D pens help grownups to relax their mind as they explore their creativity. Therapeutic indeed!
- The versatility of 3D pens cannot be overemphasized. Given they are handheld, you can create virtually any shape you can think of.
What is the best 3D pen to buy?
As earlier suggested, Reviews Rabbit lists the top 10 kick-ass 3D pens you should really consider investing on. These are:
- 3D Simo Kit 2 – perfect for architects
- 3D Simo MultiPro – good for multitasking
- 3D Simo Basic 2 – perfect for kids
- Lix Pen – smallest 3D pen and readily portable
- MYNT3D PRO – suitable for aspiring and experienced designers
- Dikale 07A 3D Pen – most budget-friendly 3D pen
- 3Doodler Create+ – used by professionals
- AIO Printing Pen – good for adults
- CoLiDo 3D Pen – suitable for beginners
- Scribbler Duo – perfect for artists
How do beginners use 3D pens?
As a beginner, you need to have the following items before getting started:
- 3D Pen
- Tracing templates
- Wax paper
It is also good to understand how 3D pens function. The filament is pulled through the pen by the help of a motor. At the tip of the pen, the filament is heated up so it flows smoothly out of the nozzle. You need to press the button at the side of the pen to keep the filament oozing out. You can also adjust the speed of the pen to achieve thicker or thinner lines.
Having these tips in mind, you can:
- Make whatever 3D object you wish.
- You can also add raised decorations to household items like flower vases.
- Repair items manufactured using 3D printers
- Draw all kinds of geometric shapes and figures.
Is 3D printing expensive?
Regarding costs, there are quite a number of factors that dictate the costs of 3D printing. Perhaps the most obvious is the size of the object you intend to print. Larger objects end up being expensive because of the amount of filament and electricity used. Smaller objects are somewhat inexpensive to print.
A good 3D printer will cost you around $800, but there are models priced as low as $200.